Simulation stuck problem

Posted 5 months ago by Deniz Güzel

Post a topic
Answered
D
Deniz Güzel

Hi, simulation cancellation in VSCode is not working. Time to time I can make mistakes that end up forever loop or want to just stop it to fix and rerun simulation, it never works to stop simulation until it finishes. The only solution that i found is deleting my licence and create new one because simulation never releases my licence even if I kill VSCode. 

0 Votes

K

Kareem Sultan posted 5 months ago Admin Best Answer

Any time DSim is killed harshly without a chance to release the grant, the license system on the backend will time it out after not hearing from DSim for 5 minutes. If all your troubleshooting with rebooting etc... was in under 5 minutes that would explain what you're seeing. 

You can look at the Desktop Interactive view in DSim Cloud to see what the license backend is thinking here. https://app.metricsvcloud.com/desktop-interactive

It'll show you if there's a lease grant and if it hasn't heard from DSim in too long as well as information as to when it will kill the grant in this scenario. 

This should all be a rare occurrence since you can hit the stop button in the latest version of DSim Desktop which is not a harsh kill and allows DSim to release the lease grant. 

0 Votes

8 Comments

Sorted by
S

Shaun Luong posted 5 months ago Admin

The Tour of DSim Desktop article has been updated with the Stop Compilation and Stop Simulation buttons, which are available as of v0.12.0.

0 Votes

D

Deniz Güzel posted 5 months ago

@Kareem @Charles Thanks for your feedback. Yes I am trying these thing below 5 minutes time span so that as you said before if I wait some time it releases licence without deleting it. Maybe it will be good feature to improve feedback mechanism of online licences through licence servers. I am going to select latest reply as an answer. Thanks.

0 Votes

K

Kareem Sultan posted 5 months ago Admin

@Deniz. I just saw your post with the attached video flagged for moderation. That's just because there's an attached video. We're still working out some of these setting for the forum.

That video was very helpful!! I'll let the simulator team know. 

In the meantime hopefully my last post proves helpful. Worst case in this scenario, you just have to wait until the lease times out and you can see the details in DSim Cloud. 

0 Votes

K

Kareem Sultan posted 5 months ago Admin Answer

Any time DSim is killed harshly without a chance to release the grant, the license system on the backend will time it out after not hearing from DSim for 5 minutes. If all your troubleshooting with rebooting etc... was in under 5 minutes that would explain what you're seeing. 

You can look at the Desktop Interactive view in DSim Cloud to see what the license backend is thinking here. https://app.metricsvcloud.com/desktop-interactive

It'll show you if there's a lease grant and if it hasn't heard from DSim in too long as well as information as to when it will kill the grant in this scenario. 

This should all be a rare occurrence since you can hit the stop button in the latest version of DSim Desktop which is not a harsh kill and allows DSim to release the lease grant. 

0 Votes

D

If I understood correctly what you written I am expecting a dsim process here to release licence by killing it but there is no dsim operation going on still my licence is stuck. My version is 20240422.0.0 and I can see that there is stop button near run or compile buttons but it does not responds clicking it gives me to option from VSCode "Are you sure you want to stop all simulations " and selecting "confirm" does not give response. For better understanding, I am attached a video about all the problems that I mentioned before. Can you watch the screen video given in attachments?

Attachments (1)

0 Votes

D

I am using Windows 11. Killing dsim from task manager did not worked for me. Restarting computer also did not work. It basically tells me that your licence is under usage right know and you reached maximum licence granted for you (1). I am going to try some methods related with OS to help you to fix that. I let you know if I come up with a solution. 

0 Votes

K

Kareem Sultan posted 5 months ago Admin

@Deniz.  If you have the latest update of the extension, there's a stop button next to the running sim you can use to kill the process. 

With older versions, you'll need to kill the DSim process yourself. The license grant is tied to the running DSim. That's why killing VSCode didn't release the grant. 

0 Votes

C

Charles Dawson posted 5 months ago Admin

Hi Deniz.  What platform are you running on?  I am not sure what the right answer is, but in the meantime I think you will have better luck getting your license back if you kill the dsim process instead of killing VSCode. 

0 Votes

Login to post a comment