carry_lookahead_adder_tb cannot simulate

Posted about 2 months ago by Marco Macedo

Post a topic
Answered
M
Marco Macedo

Hi,

I am trying to simulate the simulation example carry_lookahead_tb using DSIM locally on Ubuntu, but it does not work. The compilation process works, but when I try to run the simulation it always ends with the following error:

Linking image.so...
sh: 1: ld: not found
ds_ld  Metrics DSim version: 20240422.4.0 (b:R #c:0 h:33f2681ede os:ubuntu_22.04)

Not sure what is missing.

Thanks,

Marco

0 Votes

S

Shona Weldon posted about 2 months ago Admin Best Answer

The ld command is not shipped with dsim for the linux installs.  It's part of a linux package called binutils and that needs to be installed on your linux system.

For linux installs we provide a check_dependencies.sh script in the dsim installation directory.  You can find that in ~/metrics-ca/dsim/<version>. Please run that script.  It will make suggestions about any packages that need installing.  You will need to run these commands with sudo if you are not the root user.

For example to run the script, open an sh or bash terminal (either in VSCode or outside it) and run

cd ~/metrics-ca/dsim/<version>
./check_dependencies.sh

It will make  suggestions like the following as needed:

Please install the missing packages with the following commands.
You will be required to respond to questions or you can add '-y'
to the end of each command to answer yes to all questions.
(Note: these must be run as the root user or prefixed with sudo)
    apt update
    apt install binutils

Again you'll need sudo or be the root user.  If you are not the root then the you must be a user with sudo permission and then you can run:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install binutils

1 Votes

5 Comments

Sorted by
S

Shona Weldon posted about 2 months ago Admin

I agree wrt this not having an obvious solution.  We will try to improve on that during the installation process and in the documentation.

0 Votes

S

Shona Weldon posted about 2 months ago Admin

One further comment.  The check_dependencies.sh script exists in all the shipped dsim versions, however, we fixed a couple of issues with it in dsim version 20240422.6.0.  It might be worth upgrading to that version, not critical but there will be one odd error message with older version.  

For Ubuntu and Debian installations, the information the older version gives you is still correct however for Centos the data was incorrect.

For Centos installations, the script has been fixed to look in the centos default location for SSL certificates and the suggestions about what packages to install for missing components has been corrected.

0 Votes

M

Marco Macedo posted about 2 months ago

Good morning,

Thank you for getting back to me. I was about to reply to the ticket. It is indeed the linker that was missing and installing it solved the problem. Everything is now working and I am in the process of getting used to the feel of this new simulator. It was not obvious at first this was missing.

Thanks,

Marco

1 Votes

S

Shona Weldon posted about 2 months ago Admin Answer

The ld command is not shipped with dsim for the linux installs.  It's part of a linux package called binutils and that needs to be installed on your linux system.

For linux installs we provide a check_dependencies.sh script in the dsim installation directory.  You can find that in ~/metrics-ca/dsim/<version>. Please run that script.  It will make suggestions about any packages that need installing.  You will need to run these commands with sudo if you are not the root user.

For example to run the script, open an sh or bash terminal (either in VSCode or outside it) and run

cd ~/metrics-ca/dsim/<version>
./check_dependencies.sh

It will make  suggestions like the following as needed:

Please install the missing packages with the following commands.
You will be required to respond to questions or you can add '-y'
to the end of each command to answer yes to all questions.
(Note: these must be run as the root user or prefixed with sudo)
    apt update
    apt install binutils

Again you'll need sudo or be the root user.  If you are not the root then the you must be a user with sudo permission and then you can run:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install binutils

1 Votes

S

Shaun Luong posted about 2 months ago Admin

Are you following the instructions from Tutorial: DSim Desktop? If so, what step is it failing at?

0 Votes

Login to post a comment